Well folks, another year has gone by! For the year-end survey of favorite beauty products, I decided to force myself to pick my 13 favorite products of 2013. The question I posed to myself to get the edit was this: if I didn’t use these products this year, would I miss them? And for all 13 products below, the answer was a resounding YES.
Cosmetics & Tools
1. Laura Mercier Mineral Powder SPF 15 in Natural Beige, $38 – I’ve had this for a couple of years now, and for whatever reason, I pulled this out one day earlier this year and have been unable to choose another powder to use. It imparts a healthy glow and is just BEAUTIFUL. More importantly, it’s easy and fast – I slap this on over a tinted moisturizer or BB/CC Cream with a brush I mention below and I’m good to go.
2. Le Metier de Beaute Peau Vierge Correcteur Concealer in Shade 1, $95 – Another product I’ve had for a couple of years and finally discovered its full potential – it just DELIVERS. Under eye concealer? Check. Covers redness and discoloration on my face? YES. It’s emollient yet still stays put on my combo/oily skin. I like this much better than the cult-fave Cle de Peau Concealer (mine is in the color Beige), but I guess at $20 MORE than the Cle de Peau, it should be better.
3. CHANEL Les Beiges Healthy Glow Sheer Colour SPF 15 in 40, $57.50 – Who doesn’t want some of that bonne mine glow that French women have perfected? Love this for a subtle bronzing effect. Applied with brush mentioned below.
4. Burberry Eyeshadow in Almond, $29 – The most perfect blending color EVER. Get this – it will make any of your eye looks better.
6. Giorgio Armani Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil in #2 brown, $28 – SO glad I tried this – it’s creamy yet stays put once you set it with an eyeshadow. The brown is perfect for everyday AND dramatic looks.
7. Giorgio Armani Rouge Ecstasy Lipstick in 100 Androgino, $34 – I think this lipstick has replaced my previous favorite nude, Tom Ford Lip Color in Blush Nude. Formula is creamy and comfortable, and unlike Tom Ford Blush Nude, I don’t have to top it off with a gloss – it imparts a shine on its own.
8. Bobbi Brown Bronzer Brush, $52 – I just want it to be clearly documented that I know spending $52 on a brush is ridiculous. That said, this brush is definitely worth getting – just wait for a Sephora VIB sale or on the Bobbi Brown website when there’s a discount code going around. It is PERFECT for easy application of face powders as well as bronzers – I use it with items #1 and 3. I use this brush almost everyday.
9. Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment SPF 15, $22.50 – I picked up my 4th tube to take on my expedition to Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania earlier this year. I like that it is moisturizing, the tube has a nice weight to it, and it has SPF. I like the clear one better than the tinted ones I’ve tried. Can’t be without it ever.
10. Clinique Super Rescue Antioxidant Night Moisturizer in Dry Combination, $45 – I talked about this in my 3 items to add to your skincare routine post. Best night-time moisturizer for my combo skin ever. I like the Dry Combination version even better than the Oily one, despite having very oily skin. Won’t ever be without this either.
12. Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo, $6-$8 – I get asked quite frequently how I keep my hair so healthy since it’s pretty long (it was down to my waist before I chopped 6 inches off). It’s probably because I don’t color treat it or use heat on it very often. I can ALSO tell you it is NOT due to the shampoo I use. I’ve used very expensive shampoos (e.g., Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil Shampoo, $57 and Shu Uemura Muroto Volume Pure Lightness Shampoo, $47), and my hair looks exactly the same as if I had used inexpensive shampoos. So now I just use whatever inexpensive shampoo I like, as long as it is more natural (no sulfates or parabens) and has peppermint in it. This Giovanni one is my fave, and I also like the Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo. My husband also likes to use these shampoos, so it’s a win-win.
13. Wet Brush, $8.99 – My hair is prone to getting massive tangles, and this brush is AMAZING at getting the tangles out without tugging on my hair. I like it even better than the Tangle Teezer (I have 2) for getting knots out.
What were your favorite beauty products of 2013??